Jun 25, 2022
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurates 'Vanijya Bhawan' and launches NIRYAT Portal. The Prime Minister (PM) of India Narendra Modi inaugurated the new premises of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry (MoCI) namely 'Vanijya Bhawan', and launched a new portal NIRYAT (National Import-Export Record for Yearly Analysis of Trade) during an occasion in Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi, Delhi. Notably, June 23 marks the death anniversary of the India's first Industries Minister Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee. The building has been completed in less than the budgeted cost of Rs 226 crore.
- BNEF Report: India needs USD 223 Billion Investment to Meet 2030 Wind & Solar Capacity Goals. According to the BloombergNEF (BNEF)'s report titled "Financing India's 2030 Renewables Ambition", published in association with the Power Foundation of India, states that India will need USD 223 billion investment to achieve the goals of the government of India to increase the non-fossil power, wind and solar, capacity to 500 GW by 2030. By 2030, India aims to provide around 50% of its electricity demand from renewable energy. In order to achieve this target, India needs to scale up funding for renewables.
- Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan Completes Two Years. Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan (GKRA), a scheme for migrant workers who were affected during COVID-19 has completed two years.The scheme was launched by the Government to provide immediate employment and livelihood opportunities for migrant workers in India. Government of India launched Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan (GKRA) on 20th June in 2020 for a period of 125 days with a resource envelope of 50,000 crore rupees to boost employment and livelihood opportunities for returnee migrant workers in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic.
- Vienna Returns as the World's Most Liveable City: EIU's Global Liveability Index 2022. According to the Economic Intelligence Unit's (EIU) Global Liveability Index 2022, which examined 173 cities worldwide, Vienna, Austria's capital, has made a successful comeback, being crowned the "most liveable city" in the world once again. Vienna has recaptured the top spot from Auckland, New Zealand, which fell to 34th place in 2022 due to COVID-19 pandemic restrictions.
- Mongolia's Khuvsgul Lake & 10 Biosphere Reserves Added Newly To UNESCO World Network of Biosphere Reserves. The 34th session of the International Co-ordinating Council (ICC) of the Man and the Biosphere (MAB) Programme of the UNESCO held at UNESCO headquarters in Paris, France from 13th to 17th June 2022 approved to add 11 new biosphere reserves in 9 countries to the United Nations Educational, Scientific And Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Network of Biosphere Reserves.
- 94% of Domestic Workers Lack Comprehensive Social Security: ILO Report. According to International Labour Organization (ILO)'s new report titled "Making the right to social security a reality for domestic workers. A global review of policy trends, statistics and extension strategies", only 6% of domestic workers from across the globe are legally covered for all benefits under social insurance schemes. Around 94% of domestic workers lack access to the full range of protections, covering medical care, sickness, unemployment, old age, employment injury, family, maternity, invalidity and survivors' benefits.
BANKING & FINANCE (NEWS):-
- WB approves USD562mn funding for 3 projects in India; along with Rail Logistics Project & U'khand's Rain-Fed Agriculture. The Board of Executive Directors of the World Bank (WB) has approved 5 loans/fundings towards India catering to different sectors. This include three loans totalling USD 562 million/mn (about Rs 4,393.70 crore) to fund an education project in Gujarat, a social protection programme in Tamil Nadu (TN) and a project to help recovery in the fisheries sector post the Covid-19 pandemic.
- ICICI Bank Launches digital Platform for the Student Ecosystem - 'Campus Power'. ICICI Bank launched a digital platform, 'Campus Power, first-of-its-kind to address the needs of the students aspiring to pursue higher education in India and abroad. It is also available for other bank customers also. This is a one-stop platform, designed to assist the entire student ecosystem comprising students, parents and institutes.
- LIC launches Dhan Sanchay Life Insurance Plan with Income Benefit. The Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has launched a Dhan Sanchay Savings scheme, which is a non-linked, non-participating, individual, savings life insurance plan providing guaranteed Income Benefit and Terminal Benefit (Life protection) payable at the time of maturity of scheme.
- GoI & SBI Collaborates to Create an Integrated Pensioners' Portal to Improve The "Ease of Living" For Pensioners. SBI to create integrated Pension Portal. In order to provide seamless services and enhance the quality of life for pensioners, the Department of Pension & Pensioners' Welfare (DoPPW), Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Government of India (GoI), will collaborate with State Bank of India (SBI) to develop an integrated pensioners' portal.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS (NEWS):-
- RBI Appoints Former SBI Official as Member of Advisory Committee of SIFL & SEFL. On 24th June 2022 the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) appointed Venkat Nageswar Chalasani, former Deputy Managing Director of SBI, as a member of the Advisory Committee of Srei Infrastructure Finance Limited (SIFL).
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY (NEWS):-
- China Launches 2nd Batch of 3 Remote Sensing Satellites of Yaogan-35 Series. China successfully launched 2nd Batch of three new remote sensing satellites of Yaogan-35 series by a Long March (LM)-2D carrier rocket, from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center (XSLC) in Sichuan Province, southwest China. The satellites entered the desired orbit successfully as the second batch of the Yaogan-35 series. XSLC specialises in the insertion of satellites into Geostationary Orbit (GEO), such as broadcast, communication, and meteorological satellites.
- Paytm 1201 Series: India and South Africa Shared the Trophy Due to Tie-Break In The Decider. The Paytm sponsored 5 match Twenty20 International (T201) was hosted by India (IND) against South Africa (SA) from June 09 to June 19, 2022. The 5 match T201 series ended in a tie-breaker (2-2) as the first two matches were won by South African Cricket team led by Temba Bavuma and 3rd and 4th match was won by Indian cricket team led by Rishabh Pant and the decider (5th match) was called-off due to rain and the trophy was shared between both the teams.
- Pseudomogrus sudhii: New Spider Discovered from Thar Desert, Rajasthan; Named after Malayalee Arachnologist Sudhikumar AV. A new species of jumping spider named " Pseudomogrus sudhii" has been discovered in the Thar desert, Rajasthan. The new species has been named after Malayalee Arachnologist Sudhikumar A.V., recognising his contribution to the field of Indian arachnology.