Feb 01, 2023
DAILY TOP NEWS OF THE DAY
- Indian Army's Exercise Topchi held in Deolali, Maharashtra; Made-in-India Weapons showcased On January 29, 2023, the Indian Army's annual firepower demonstration and training exercise 'Exercise Topchi' was conducted at the School of Artillery in Devlali in Deolali, Maharashtra. The event took place under the stewardship of Lt Gen S Harimohan Iyer, AVSM, Commandant School of Artillery and Col Commandant Regiment of Artillery.
- USISPF launched STEM Initiative to increase women in STEM education & workforce in India Mukesh Aghi, president and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the United States(U.S.)-India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF) launched the U.S.-India Alliance for Women's Economic Empowerment STEM Initiative(STEM Collaborative) to increase the number of women in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) education and the workforce in India. The STEM initiative was launched during the US-India Alliance Shatter Summit.
- UN Agencies Report: Asia-Pacific Overview of Food Security and Nutrition 2022 According to a joint report by the United Nations (UN) Agencies titled "Asia-Pacific Overview of Food Security and Nutrition 2022: Urban Food Security and Nutrition", an increasing number of people in Asia lack enough to eat as food insecurity rises with greater prices and worsening poverty.
BANKING & FINANCE (NEWS):
- Infibeam Avenues Brand CCAvenue Becomes India's First Payment Gateway Player to Process Retail CBDC Transactions CCAvenue, the premier payments brand of Infibeam Avenues Limited (IAL), has emerged as India's first payment gateway player to process Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) or Digital Rupee (e-rupee) transactions for online retail merchants. In an industry- first move, CCAvenue has processed CBDC transactions for IDFC First Bank, one of India's top private sector banks, enabling CBDC online transactions in an attempt to improve the country's digital payments ecosystem.
ECONOMY & BUSINESS (NEWS):
- IMF projects India's growth to fall 6.1% in 2023 The International Monetary Fund (IMF) in its World Economic Outlook- January 2023 update has projected India's growth to decline from 6.8% in 2022 to 6.1% in 2023 before picking up to 6.8% in 2024. The global growth is projected to fall from an estimated 3.4% in 2022 to 2.9% in 2023, then rise to 3.1% in 2024. About 84% of countries are expected to have lower headline (consumer price index) inflation in 2023 than in 2022.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS (NEWS):
- Ministry of Defence Announced the Best Marching Contingents & Tableaux of R-Day Parade 2023 On 30th January 2023, the Ministry of Defence(MoD) announced the best marching contingents and tableaux of Republic Day (R-Day) Parade 2023 in two separate results, one selected by the 3 member Expert Committee of Ministry of Defence and the other through an online public vote conducted by MyGov platform. A total of 23 tableaux — 17 from states and union territories and six from various ministries and departments- participated in the Republic Day parade 2023.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS (NEWS):
- Puma India ropes in Indian Cricket Harmanpreet Kaur as Brand Ambassador Puma India, one of the largest sportswear brand, has roped in Indian Women's cricket team captain Harmanpreet Kaur as its brand ambassador as a part of Puma India's commitment towards the women's business, particularly in sports segment in India. As the brand ambassador, Harmanpreet will endorse the brand's footwear, apparel and accessories throughout the year.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY (NEWS):
- Drone Start-up Eminent Air showcased India's 1st one of its kind Drone with Parachute Integrated System Eminent Air Private Limited, a New Delhi(Delhi) based drone start-up, showcased India's 1st one-of-its-kind drone with a Parachute Integrated system as part of an event to mark its inaugural flight. The inaugural flight was a part of a live demonstration to highlight the drone's capabilities and features.
- India won 1st Women's U-19 T20 World Cup 2023 by defeating England lndia won the 1st ICC (International Cricket Council) Under-19 Women's T20 (Twenty 20) World Cup 2023 by defeating England with 7 wickets.lt was the first edition of the ICC Women's Under-19 Cricket World Cup and it was hosted by South Africa (SA) from January 14 — 29, 2023. This is India's first World Cup win in the women's section. The Player of the final match title was awarded to 18-year-old Indian pacer Titas Sadhu. The Player of the Tournament or Most Valuable Player (MVP) title was grabbed by England captain and stellar all-rounder Grace Scrivens.
IMPORTANT DAYS (NEWS):
- Martyrs' Day 2023 - 30th January 2023 Martyrs' Day, also known as Sarvodaya day or Shaheed Diwas, is annually observed across the globe on January 30 to pay tribute to all who sacrificed their lives for India. The day also marks the death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, who was fondly called 'Bapu'.